1703 Earliest record of Oldland mill on the Turner Estate map as an open trestle windmill.
1755 Mill mentioned in the Ditchling Churchwarden’s Accounts.
1801 Mill mentioned in the National Defence Schedule for the Napoleonic Wars.
1839 Earliest name of a tenant miller (‘J Winchester’) carved on the main post
First evidence of the round house shown in a carving on the main post.
1870 (Approx) Steam engine installed beside the mill to provide auxiliary power.
1873 Replacement cast iron wind shaft installed. Existing Granary probably constructed.
1887 Mill used to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
1892 Date inscribed on tail pole.
1912 Mill ceased working commercially. Last driven by both wind and steam power.
1927 Mill conveyed to the Sussex Archaeological Society by the Turner family.
Round house used as a museum of Agricultural Tools.
1934 ‘Shilling Fund’ launched to restore the mill. Estimated cost £150.
1935 Some repairs carried out, but restoration then abandoned.
1951 Frank Brangwyn launched a second appeal to restore the mill.
Estimated cost £500. Later abandoned.
1980 Hassocks Amenity Association (HAA) acquired the lease on the mill.
Volunteer group formed and restoration commenced.
Estimated timescale 7 years and cost £7,000.
1981 Remaining pair of original sweeps and both stocks removed.
1985 Millstones, some machinery and stone floor removed.
1986-88 Trestle and crown tree replaced.
1991-93 New frames for sides, breast, sheers and tail wall constructed.
1993-95 Remaining machinery removed and scaffolding erected.
1995-97 Rotten timbers in mill body removed and new frames erected.
1997 Oldland Mill Trust (OMT) formed as a charity linked to the HAA.
1998 New tail ladder constructed. HAA acquired the freehold to the mill.
2000 Round house walls dismantled.
2001 Breast and port side weather boarding completed.
2002 New rafters erected. Starboard side, roof and tail wall weather boarding completed.
2003 Spout floor relayed, tail ladder fitted and round house foundations reconstructed.
Formal topping out ceremony conducted.
2004 DEFRA Grant of £60,000 awarded under the Rural Enterprise Scheme.
Round house rebuilt using original bricks, and new roof constructed to original design.
2005 Upper and lower tail beams reinforced with steel plates.
Round house floor relayed using original bricks.
Iron bands fitted to the millstones and the stones redressed.
2006 Millwright contracted to build the new sweeps died.
All contracted work brought back in house to be carried out by volunteers.
2007 New brake wheel fitted.
New stocks fitted and new sweeps hung.
OMT reformed as a charity independent of the HAA.
2008 New sweeps turned by the wind for the first time.
Front mill stone drive installed and flour produced.
Skirt finished and restoration of the mill exterior completed.
2009 Grand Celebration event to mark the first milling post restoration.
Oldland Mill and Jill Mill both have their sweeps turning at the same time for
the first time in about 100 years.
2011 Two of the four sweeps were removed and refurbished ahead of schedule thanks to new volunteers and good weather.
2012 A servery was installed and given a food hygiene rating of 5
2013 The flour dresser was installed.
A weather station was installed giving real time on-site wind data via the mill’s website.
The new website went live.
The remaining two sweeps were removed and refurbished.